SNP MEP Alyn Smith has today (Friday) encouraged Scots to make their voices heard in the newly launched online consultation on organic policy research priorities in Europe.
In 2013 Technology Platform TP Organics launched the revision process of the 2009 Strategic Research Agenda in order to reflect a number of recent changes in the policy priorities. Namely, the increased focus on innovation, the establishment of the European Innovation Partnership for Agriculture, the legislative proposal for a new organic regulation and the new Organic Action Plan published by the Commission in March 2014 (see below for more information).
The online public consultation will close at 13:00 on 1st September 2014.
"Organic farming in Scotland has seen plenty changes over the last few years and it is vital that these changes are properly reflected in the legislation governing the sector.
"This public consultation gives Scots organic producers the opportunity to highlight what changes they want to see made to the organic farming strategic research and innovation agenda. This input will help make the final document a valuable and insightful tool for EU policymakers.
"I urge all of Scotland's interested parties to make their views known before the consultation closes on 1st September."
The revision process includes several steps:
1. An exploratory discussion on possible new topics to be covered by the revised Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda held at the Stakeholder Forum in 2013.
2. Drafting first contributions by the expert team of TP Organics from January until June 2014.
3. Collecting members and stakeholders’ feedback on the proposed topics at the Stakeholder Forum on 1 July, 2014.
4. Online public consultation from July 1 to September 1, 2014, to give everybody the possibility to prioritise the research & innovation for the organic food and farming sector.
5. Consultations with other European Technology Platforms in order to identify possible areas of cooperation in autumn 2014.
6. A workshop planned at the World Organic Congress in November 2014 in Istanbul to get feedback from an international perspective.
7. All the input received during the consultations will be processed into a final version which will be published in 2014.
To download the instructions click here: http://www.tporganics.eu/upload/TPOrganics_online%20consultation_2014.pdf