There are 754 MEPs so when we get to speak we don't normally get to do it for very long. Speeches take place in the plenary sessions when the full Parliament meets in Brussels or Strasbourg.
One of the best sessions for raising issues important to Scotland is at the beginning of the Strasbourg session. In these sessions you get one minute to talk about anything you want. Of course you have to fight for your minute!
I speak on issues affecting Scotland, on reports of the European Parliament, to question the Commission or the European Presidency on topical issues and on the topic of international affairs. I think it's important that the European Parliament speaks out on international affairs as our domestic Parliaments' often find themselves tongue-tied.
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012