Smith Hails EU Boost For Scots Renewables
Smith has also urged the European Commission to take stronger EU action against the UK's energy regulator, Ofgem for its transmission 'locational' charging policy which continues to penalise Scotland's renewable energy producers making it more expensive for them to connect to the grid.
The only Scot to speak in the debate, Smith said after the vote today:
"We have done a good bit of work for Europe's consumers today, and Scotland's renewables industry.
"With Scotland's glittering potential, it still staggers me that Ofgem can operate a pricing regime which breaks the legs of Scotland's fledgling renewables industry before it can walk.
"I have a live complaint with the European Commission on this, as the current legislation is not strong enough, however I welcome the stronger commitment to renewable energy that this legislative package will create."
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012