Smith Questions Commission Over Horse Transportation
SNP MEP Alyn Smith has written to the Commissioner for Health and Consumer Policy, John Dalli, asking what steps the Commission has taken to improve the long distance travelling conditions of live horses to slaughter since the of the European Parliament’s Written Declaration 54/2009 early last year.
Smith had previously worked very closely with World Horse Welfare during the passage of this Written Declaration and was praised for being one of the first MEPs to sign up. However, since this time, a vast amount of evidence has been published, including the Scientific Opinion of the European Food Safety Authority, signalling the need to put in place a short, finite journey limit for horses travelling to slaughter and to conduct a review of space allowances.
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012