MEP Encourages Scottish Local Councils To Get On Their Bikes!
SNP MEP Alyn Smith, is today calling on local authorities to apply for special European funding to set up bike sharing schemes in Scottish towns and cities.
From mid March, local authorities will be able to apply for grants from the 'Intelligent Energy - Europe' programme. The funding is destined for projects which can help deliver a cleaner and more sustainable energy future for Europe. A broad range of projects across the areas of energy efficiency, transport and renewable energy will be supported.
"I want to see Scottish local authorities applying for this funding to implement bike sharing schemes in their towns and cities. Scotland needs to be leading the way with green transport and what better way to do this than by making cycling more accessible. Bike sharing schemes have been in operation in many European cities for a number of years now and I see no reason why similar schemes can't work in Inverness, Oban, Stirling, Fort William or Perth for example.
"I want to draw attention to this funding, as if local authorities are not aware of it and don't apply; it is a missed opportunity for sustainable transport and energy efficiency in Scotland.
"I think it is high time that Scotland's towns use their pedal power and join the European cycling revolution!"
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012