Praise For £10 Million Bee Initiative
The funding has been made available through a joint initiative of the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), Defra, the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), the Wellcome Trust and the Scottish Government.
Alyn Smith said:
"In a twelve month period, Scotland saw its bee population decline by a massive 30%, while other EU states have seen even worse declines. To put this into context, beekeeping organisations estimate that every third mouthful of food consumed in the EU could be pollinated by bees, so a catastrophic collapse in bee populations is something that must be investigated urgently.
"Today's funding announcement is therefore especially welcome. Scotland is well placed to help with this research, and this money will support and develop the work that is already taking place across the country as part of the Scottish Government's ambitious honeybee recovery plan."
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012