MEP Welcomes European Action On Equitable Life
There are policy holders with Equitable Life the length and breadth of Scotland, many of whom have been in contact with Mr Smith over their case.
The Parliament's Petitions Committee held a hearing in September for policy holders who lost their savings when the insurer collapsed.
Following the hearings the Petitions Committee has decided to establish a Temporary Parliamentary Committee to investigate the policy holders complaints.
Commenting on the decision Mr Smith said
"This move is very positive. We will have to wait and see what the Committee concludes but this shows the European Parliament acting to address the concerns of people across Scotland.
"I know some of the Scottish campaigners made it to the Committee's hearing and I congratulate them on this result.
"Over 1 million people lost out when Equitable collapsed. This is a very constructive move for them and I look forward to the outcome of the inquiry which will hopefully move this case on and provide some answers to those who have suffered from Equitable Life's collapse. "
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012