Concerns raised over campaign material
Cllr Owen Thompson is to raise concerns with the Electoral Commission over some of the campaign material used in the recent Loanhead byelection.
Cllr Thompson, who won the by election with xx% of the vote, is referring a Liberal Democrat leaflet to the Electoral Commission as an example of the poor and misleading campaigning that can put many people off voting and risks damaging local democracy.
The Lib Dem leaflet, issued after postal votes had been counted claimed that only the Liberal Democrats or Labour could win. A claim which was completely unfounded and may have left many voters confused as to the position of parties in the election.
MEP Alyn Smith who campaigned with Owen offered him his support
"It is important that politics gets out of the realm of misleading voters over the options they face. We need to get above that. Local elections suffer from low turn outs and providing voters with potential misinformation so close to an election does not help to build public trust in politicians"
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012