MEP urges Highlands to enter European Enterprise Awards
The awards, announced this week by Enterprise Commissioner Gunter Verheugen "recognise excellence in regional and local authorities that promote entrepreneurship"
The competition is open to local authorities, towns, cities and communities as well as educational programmes.
Speaking after the announcement of the awards Mr Smith said
"This is a great way to recognise the efforts of many at a local level who are trying to boost their local economies, develop new businesses and encourage companies to set up in their area.
"Not only that but by making the awards available to communities and educational projects everyone can get involved.
"This gives the Highlands the chance to show on an international stage some of the innovative business and enterprise projects that take place here.
"I hope that come May 2006 when the six different prizes are announced Highlands will be at the top of the class"
The six prizes to be awarded are
- The Entrepreneurial Trailblazer Award will recognise actions that promote an entrepreneurial culture and mindset.
- The Enterprise Support Award will reward innovative policies that promote enterprise and attract investment, particularly in disadvantaged areas.
- The Red Tape Reduction Award will reward measures to simplify administrative procedures for businesses, in particular for start-ups.
- The Investment in People Award will recognise initiatives to improve entrepreneurship education and training.
- Responsible entrepreneurship will honour corporate social responsibility and sustainable business practices.
Finally, a Jury's Grand Prize will be awarded to the entry that is considered the most creative and inspiring entrepreneurship initiative in Europe.
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012