MEP congratulates islands on local TV bid
Mr Smith welcomed the news that LEADER + would fund a new Hebrides TV station available through broadband.
The LEADER + programme is intended to assist rural communities to enhance their quality of life.
Speaking from Strasbourg where the European Parliament is in session this week Mr Smith said
"I wish Hebrides TV the best of luck with this pilot and hope to see the project extended after 2007. With any luck I'll even get the chance to appear on it next time I'm in the Western Isles.
"The use of new media in the more remote areas of Scotland is increasingly important and the EU makes a lot of assistance available to creative industries and digital media - it's good to see Scotland getting some of that help.
"Broadband offers so much potential to rural areas. This is an excellent and very imaginative proposal from the council, Western Isles Enterprise and the other partners in the project. I look forward to seeing the first programmes on line in the near future."
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012