Welcome For EU Ban On Cat And Dog Fur
Scottish National Party MEP and Europe spokesman Alyn Smith today welcomed the announcement;
"We have been waiting a long time for this ban and I am glad to see it has finally arrived.
"Many people in Scotland and across Europe have strong affections for cats and dogs and do not want to find they are accidentally wearing cat fur or their children are playing with toys made from dog fur.
"There are several national bans but they are not enough to stop cat and dog fur being sold into the EU from countries like China, passed off as synthetic fur and used across Europe.
"The Parliament has asked for this EU wide ban, I now welcome it and hope it will be implemented swiftly.
"In doing so I must congratulate my fellow MEP Struan Stevenson on the work he has put in to promoting this issue which has no doubt helped to eventually secure this ban."
For further detail on the Commission proposal see
- Gay Scots MEP Blasts Armenia On LGBTI Rights Record
13 July 2012
- Welcome Vote On Energy Efficiency
12 July 2012
- "Clarity & Sense" Needed On EU Offshore Oil & Gas Safety Regulation
11 July 2012
- EU Wide Safety Regulation For Offshore Oil & Gas Would Be Destructive To Industry
10 July 2012
- Alyn Hails Euro Parliament Support For LGBTI Rights In Africa
06 July 2012
- Vion Closure - "Clear Need For Government Intervention"
05 July 2012