Applications are invited for the post of Caseworker
Closing date: Friday 25 July 2014
Role: The successful applicant will join Alyn Smith's constituency office to support and promote his work as a Member of the European Parliament.
Location: Summerhall, Edinburgh
Salary: £18,000 - £21,000 (plus 10% pension contribution) depending on skills and experience.
Hours: This is a full time position, from Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.
Holiday entitlement: 25 days per annum plus public holidays.
- Meeting with and corresponding with constituents
- Attending meetings to assist Alyn in dealing with constituents’ issues
- Drafting letters as required
- Maintaining Alyn's agenda
- Organisation of travel and meetings within the constituency
- Liaison with government agencies, voluntary sector, local authorities and others to resolve problems
- Maintaining records of constituent contact and following up issues
- Preparing relevant briefings and research
- Undertaking mailings, consultations and surveys
- Organisation of events and group visits to Brussels
- Assisting with the work of other colleagues as required
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required
Key skills and competencies
- Knowledge and understanding of the Scottish political scene
- A good background knowledge of the workings of the European Union, the European Parliament in particular
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with the ability to identify and take forward issues on behalf of constituents
- The ability to deal with sensitive information while respecting the requirement of confidentiality for constituents
- Flexible approach to working with the ability to work as part of a team and on their own initiative
- High standard of administrative skills with a demonstrable working knowledge of Apple and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Proven communication skills, both written and verbal with a polite, pleasant and confident telephone manner and be able to deal with a wide range of people
- Strong organisational skills
If you have the relevant skills and experience, please send a CV and covering letter outlining your experience and what makes you suitable for this job to email@example.com.